pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Don't Make Kitchen Sink Miso

Hello friends! I have a HUGE LIFE CHANGE I'm dying to share with y'all, but until it gets finalized this week and I sign the dotted line, I remain in limbo and have to sit on this big news.

I've really been lax this summer as the sun and warm weather have supported my health, but we're all going to have to be more mindful as we move into the fall and the ragweed comes out.

Lately, I've been experiencing a lot of congestion.

Thankfully, there's a great macro fix for that. If you're sneezing and dripping and you're not eating morning miso, I've found that the next day my sinuses will clear up after a hearty bowl.

Here are my usual morning add-ins, but I like to switch it up so that I get a variety of veggies:

MISO VEGGIES!

-The holy trinity: Onions, Celery, Carrot. This makes the most tasty bowl, in my opinion
-Napa cabbage/bok choi
-Chickpeas
-Wakame
-Shiitake mushrooms
-Dried daikon / dried burdock

Play around with specific combinations rather than just making "trash can soup." You wouldn't just throw everything in your fridge on a sandwich, so be discerning and try to have directed flavors in your miso. It's much more palatable that way. For instance, I like some oven-roasted leeks and chickpeas for flavor with something that's a little more mild, like daikon, for health.

As tempting as it is, Ginny always reminds me to make my miso mild in the morning so that I'm not craving salt or sugar all day. I use about 1 tsp. South River Miso per pot, 2 if it's especially full.

Enjoy your miso, have fun with it, and don't forget that just because it's healing, doesn't mean it can't have flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment