pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Seasonal Transitioning

Hello snackers! It's Thursday, I have the next three days off, and I'm doing a macro re-focusing weekend!

CLEANSE

I find that both my life and the weather up here in Massachusetts are about to undergo some pretty major changes, and during times of transition, it's crucial to support our health. Also May told me that my eyes looked cloudy and that I had gotten too yin, and she can tell if you're getting sick a month away, so I defer to her :)

The tricky thing about this cleanse is that the grocery stores around here have been pretty thin on groceries lately. I feel like I've eaten so many carrots that I'm going to turn orange. I haven't seen a daikon or burdock worth its salt in weeks. I had a wonderful leek stir-fry a couple days ago, but having cooked so much "snackro" and not enough "macro" lately, I over-salted the heck out of it, and it was more like pickles than vegetables.

NAUGHTY VEGETABLES

The problem is that the veggies that are seasonal at the moment are not macrobiotic veggies. Like, all of them:

-Potatoes
-Tomatoes
-Eggplants
-Bell Peppers
-Corn
-Jalopenos

One macrobiotic website referred to tomatoes as "Cancer Apples." Um. Extreme.

I hate bell peppers, so that's no problem. After reading about deadly nightshade, the near relative of eggplant, I now have no desire to ever eat an eggplant again. If I am tempted, I try to think of it as a Pokemon, and file it under "vegan prohibitions."

But corn? Potatoes? That's just depressing.

Here are the recipes I'm going to try to knock out this week:

+ Carrot, Onion, and Hijiki Salad with Wild Rice Mix and steamed seasonal vegetables

+ Mochi waffles!

+ Mustard, collard, and watercress greens with umeboshi plum dressing

+ Coconut shredded blueberry pie

+ Steamed green stack with light lemon flax dressing

Wish me luck! We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment