pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Three Quick Macro Time-Savers

crumble
This morning's breakfast was an amazing tempeh crumble.  I was short on time and super hungry.  Tempeh usually takes a while to slice and cube, and in doing so we dirty both a knife and cutting board.  Take your block of tempeh or tofu and crush it with your hands into your skillet and save on time and dishes!

wash smart
Having the right sink tools can cut your dishwashing time by ten or fifteen minutes!  I like to have a soft sponge, a brillo pad, steel wool, and a tawashi wooden scrubber.  And a spoon.  A spoon gets burned veggies off a pot like nothing I've ever seen.

steam
When I'm having leftovers for dinner, nothing gets it done faster than a multi-level steamer.  Place a bamboo steamer in a skillet filled with 1/2-1/3" hot water and simmer for 15 minutes.  Place the heavier dishes (root veggies, grains, beans) closer to the bottom, and the lighter dishes (greens, thin-sliced veggies) near the top.  Sometimes if I want to give my leftovers a little kick, I place some fresh herbs in the water and let the steam infuse my dinner with rosemary or basil!


No comments:

Post a Comment