pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

I've Got A Potato Peeler...

Scrub, Scrub

Sorry I haven't been writing much. When all you do all day is live, eat, sleep, and breathe macro, it's hard to break it down into writing, let alone want to spend another minute thinking about a healing diet. Some days, it makes me want to take a bath in a vat of corn syrup.

I've had some amazing chats with some of you about healing. This time of year, it feels like you're all where I'm at. All you do is think about your health and your food, and you make a million adjustments to your life to try to feel better, and sometimes you just get SICK of it. Sometimes, if you're like me, you don't want to think about healing anymore!

On Friday, I was like, "IF ANYBODY COMES ONE STEP CLOSER WITH A CARROT, I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT."

This is the part where I'm supposed to say something that I've discovered here at the Kushi Institute that revealed the truth to me about how to self-care and not go bananas.

What I'm actually going to tell you is that I discovered something in Nashville that I no longer do that... come to think of it, would be really freaking helpful right about now.

Diet is only 20% of the macrobiotic lifestyle. If you're not working on your mind, if you're not exercising, if you're not trying to understand your place in the divine... you're a table with one leg. What I'm NOT saying is, "Hey, I hear you're really beat from cooking five hours a day. Take a yoga class and meditate."

That would be cruel.

Last year, when I got too tired of taking care of myself, when the weight of all this worry and food and medical bills became too heavy, I did something I enjoyed. I went down to Whole Food and I bought some scrubs, some soaps, and some herbs, and I... washed. I put on the Yanni, drew the curtains, and hung out. I figured, "Since I'm going to be going to bed at 10 PM because I'm 23-going-on-geriatric, I might as well smell good."

The point of a body scrub isn't to re-familiarize yourself with the location of your femur. It's to bring mindfulness back to the body in a calming way. It's to stimulate the skin and increase blood flow. I haven't been doing body scrubs here because it's a little awkward in a public restroom, but it's something I look forward to doing again once I leave KI.

Detox

On another note, detox is really lame. I ate "normal" Becky food this weekend, and got violently ill this morning. I didn't go too crazy. I cooked with olive oil, ate gluten-free bread with egg as an ingredient, and had some popcorn and a chai latte with soy milk. None of this really sounds that bad, but man... I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish my lunch shift. My insides felt like they were burning and I ran to the bathroom and got sick. I know that it's my body's way of telling me I shouldn't eat these foods, but it really stinks to feel like this.

My recurrent staph infection is also back in a new location, so I might have to talk to a counselor here about that. My roommate says it's detox, but I'm really anxious about it, and am monitoring it closely. It kind of makes sense to me, in a weird way. I feel like my whole body is flushing things out right now, so I'm eating really pure the next three days (no more fruit-sweetened cookies or sesame crackers for me!)

Prayers for focus and for this infection would be really great. I am trying to tune out stressful and chaotic energy right now and feeling really overwhelmed, so calming, centering energy would be a blessing.

Thanks all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky! It is great to read another one of your posts. I know that I have never done a full detox. I get to the yucky stage and I give up too early and miss out on the light, free feeling that people talk about. Patience is something I need to work on. Wishing you many calming, peaceful days ahead!

    ReplyDelete