pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sneaking Peanut Butter at Kushi

The eagle has landed! I've officially begun my kitchen residency here at KI, and it's been so much new information and food that I'm only just now catching up! I've inundated my family and friends with information about how I've been settling in and my duties in the kitchen, so I'm going to just try to post the practical stuff here.

Like sneaking peanut butter.

The word around these parts is "detox." Nearly everybody I've met (myself included) is unloading toxins and bad mojo, or is in a clean body/mind state and ate some chocolate over Christmas that made them vomit or lose sleep.

I hadn't thought about detox in a long time.

When I first detoxed, it was Spring of 2010, and the first thing I noticed was that I smelled awful. I showered two or three times a day. All of the sudden I, who had never before had problems smelling fresh as a rose, began to emit this really bizarre smell. It drove me nuts. I sweated profusely and felt like a pariah. This period lasted about two weeks, and I was very relieved when it was done.

The second major detox happened in late spring. After moving out of my parents' house and into a macrobiotic house, I ate totally clean macro food for the first time. I sat down one night for dinner, and I cried. I cried for about two hours, and I went through every possible feeling you could go through. Afterwards, I felt calm, serene, and in control of my body in a way I had never felt before. It was amazing to fully inhabit myself. This experience is very common for macrobiotic detox.

I am curious what detox here will feel like. It will probably happen a little later for me, because I rolled in here with a big jar of peanut butter that sat calmly in my dresser for four days until it got cracked open today and I indulged in several tablespoons. It was delicious, but now I feel like goop.

I don't have high hopes for the next few posts, because I feel muddled and am acclimating not only to a new setting, but radically different and cleansing foods and treatments. I'm quite tired, and I sleep a lot. Which I'm going to do now. See you soon!

3 comments:

  1. congratulations and welcome to the Shire ! may I suggest you befriend Mat Napier, go to the Dream Away Lodge for fun, and have a good night out at Bizen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to have found your blog :)
    I am excited to read about your time at the KI. It is a long-time dream of mine to make it there. You have a great writing style!
    Have a great rest of the week :)
    Jess @ the dainty pig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so funny!!! I can so totally relate! I came to the KI in the spring of 1995 to do work/study in the housekeeping department and then in the kitchen. I was 17 at the time and for us (the young uns, I mean, the under 25 set) it was all about sneaking desserts from the back stair case behind the kitchen. That and getting the over 21s to buy microbrews from the general store. I will be looking forward to each and every post.

    ReplyDelete