pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Where the Heck I Have Been!

Hey all,

I survived the GRE's! That's the monster test I spent most of October studying for. May's taking it too (two weeks, so keep your fingers crossed and send good vibes her way!! She's studying across the table from me right now :) so we crammed studying in every available nook and cranny in our respective schedules. As we drove out to Kushi, we shouted words like "prevaricate" and "peregrinate" across the seat. We quizzed between macro cooking classes.

My life is now devoted to even thirds: coffee shop, grad school preparation, and sleeping. It's been hard to squeeze macrobiotic cooking into the schedule, but I've tried. I'm writing this blog post because all the blood in my body is currently in my stomach making headway on a heavy pumpkin muffin, and I find myself unable to write anything really funny.

I made a truly righteous set of Honey Coconut Cornbread muffins this week that were surprisingly delicious. They were extremely mild in sweetness, and were sweetened entirely by Boston-area raw organic honey.

Here's the recipe on that. I don't have a picture, so here's a picture of the pumpkins we made for Halloween (the originals from the internet). Happy Halloween!

1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
½ cup coconut shavings plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered kuzu root, dissolved in cool water
1 cup soy milk
2 large eggs
1/2 stick vegan margarine, melted
3 to 4 oz. raw organic honey

Preheat oven to 400. Mix liquids, then solids. Mix liquids forever, because the soy milk and honey congeal, and it's a serious pain to get it looking nice. Line 12-16 cups in a muffin pan with aesthetically pleasing cupcake liners. I used pink polka-dot. After filling tins 2/3 full with batter, sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a generous pinch of shaved coconut and cook for 15-20 minutes.

NOTE: These cupcakes were great, but they were kind of small. Going back, I'd probably do 6-10 in a deep pan. Great recipe, and really cheap to make. Coconut shavings cost a little more than sawdust. It's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment