pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rocking Collards

I don't have a picture of these awesome collard greens I made the other day, so I'm just going to put up a picture of my dog.

I was trying to cobble together a dinner using rice, the fish in the fridge, and some collard greens. I was totally sick of all my collard green recipes that I've made a billion times before, so I got hit with a crazy idea.

Lemon juice.

The result was light and bright, a perfect compliment to the spiced tuna and jasmine rice.

LEMON COLLARD GREENS
-1/2 lemon, juiced
-1 bunch collard greens
-1 small yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-pinch coarse sea salt
-(optional) pinch ground black pepper

Slice the onions into thin strips, mince garlic cloves. I am a garlic fanatic and did six cloves, but not everyone shares my obsession. Pan-fry the garlic until it just begins to brown, and then add the onion, cooking 3-4 minutes at medium-high heat. I typically slice my collard greens into 3-4 inch thick strips, and add them just after I finish the onions.

At this point, it's important to be judicious with oil. It's really easy to see the ingredients sticking to the pan and slosh some more oil in here, but I've found that adding 2-3 tbsp. cold water works even better, keeps the flavor light, and keeps it low-cal. If you add the water, let it simmer down a few minutes and then add your lemon juice and spices.

The whole cooking process takes between 15-20 minutes and results in a totally rocking collard dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment