pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Whoops... I've been eating the wrong vegetables

Greetings friends.

I write today a humbled woman who has discovered why one of my recurrent infections has returned. I'll be following the diet very closely for the rest of the week to see if I can't knock this thing out before it gets too bad.

I've been eating the wrong vegetables. There's this great macrobiotic tome that we have at home called something like The Natural Guide to the Medicinal Qualities of Vegetables and Fruits and Which Ones Have Bad Juju, or something along those lines. It was pretty easy for me to refer to it in times of question to see how the ingredient I had just purchased landed on the scale of Macro. I've kind of been going on intuition here in Boston, and apparently my intuition has been pretty off, which is most likely why I'm feeling cruddy.

I've been eating a ton of chard and beets because that's what's been in season up here, but apparently, those are incredibly acidic. I had really banked on those nutritionally, because I only have time to cook one hot meal a day, so I've been using what's local and fresh, but apparently I shouldn't have used those. I now have a raging flare-up of one of my favorite past infections, and I know that it's my fault... Urgh.

This week I'm going to cut back on my beloved lattes and cut out the bread and popcorn that are my greatest weaknesses in an attempt to recenter my body. I'd really like to get off sugar again. I feel like it makes me mercurial and tense, and I'd love to kick this infection where it hurts.

Sometimes I feel really frustrated because I tell myself, "But I eat healthier than 80% of Americans at least!" But that's not productive thinking at all. I need to look at all the unhealthy things that are in my diet and remind myself that even one thing with sugar or honey in it per day is one thing too many. My body has gotten pretty puffy and I've put on a little weight in the past few months, so I know that my body is sending me the message that it's time to simplify again.

I'm really going to try to do this, and I'll keep writing on here to be accountable to you guys, but it's really something I struggle with, so your continued reading, support and prayers as I work to achieve good health are incredibly meaningful to me. God has blessed me so many times over by setting this lifestyle as the course for my life, so I am praying for the strength to be more focused and be better so that I can live the purpose He intended me to live!

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing Becky, honestly, you should be super proud of yourself. You are totally self-aware, and that's more than most people can say out there. Many people are never, ever going to acknowledge the correlation between food and symptoms that they experience. The fact that you hold personal accountability is tremendous and I applaud you! On that note, yes, we all fall victim to rationalizing sugar. Especially women who run on sweet tastes to help relax and feel more feminine, and that's all part of the yin and yang, baby! On the other hand, what you say of beets... yes, they are more acidic then alkalizing, but they have anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties; they dissolve acid crystals from the kidneys, promote menstruation, and have cleansing properties, especially for the liver and the colon (totally helps constipation, what??!). I was first recommended to eat them by an energy healer, she kept hearing the word beets in my reading, and finding out their medicinal uses really helped me understand why. Then I was actually recommended by a few macro counselors to have them every so often to help cleanse my icky colon issues. Having them roasted every evening was not a good idea (which I am guilty of completely, because they are so yummy that way). It becomes too yang for me personally when it's that often, but I know boiled with black sesame seeds on top, beets become my friend again! So don't worry too much, especially about being "better" when we are perfect just the way we are... but we just always go back to step one: everything in moderation ;) (and can I just say, I hate when people tell me that! LOL) Props, girrrrrll!!

    ReplyDelete