pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Hair!

Hey all! Sorry for the long hiatus. I've been working non-stop up here and undertaking journeys and working on um... THE COOLEST NEW MACRO APPLICATION EVER!!!!

Well, maybe it's not the COOLEST ever, but it's dead useful and should make everybody's life a little bit easier.

Anyways, I've been wanting to do this post for a really long time, so today's the day!

My favorite, FAVORITE health impact from making the switch to a whole foods diet has been...

HAIR!


In the year since I've become macro, I've developed thick, strong, shiny hair. It's AWESOME.

My senior year of college, I was on three full-time prescription medications (with another 3-4 waiting in the wings that I would take about once a month), and my hair looked awful. It was stringy, patchy, and brittle. There was a bald patch on the side of my head at one point. I was pretty self-conscious about it. Granted, this is nothing on a lot of people I've met who have had cancer and have lost their hair, so please keep in mind that this is written from a place of personal insecurity, mindful of the fact that this problem is, in the grand scheme of things, really not the end of the world.

I began to notice last summer that after about six months on the diet, my hair was growing really quickly. The thin areas were beginning to fill in, and the hair was growing much faster than it had before. Ginny had firmly put the kabosh on my pathological dependency for hairspray and leave-in chemical conditioners, so I was putting much gentler products on my hair. Because all the oil from meat and dairy was gone, my hair was much less oily, so I didn't have to wash it as often as I did before.

I also started to play around with natural beauty remedies like avocado oil and cosmetic clays. I don't really do these things as much any more, because here in Boston time is at a premium, but the fact that I don't have to wash my hair every day is awesome. I have this sneaking suspicion that a lot of this is from the sea vegetables and deep leafy greens and all the nutrients they provide.

Anyways, I feel so much more confident than I did before, so I'm really thankful for all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment