pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Open-Face Salmon Sandwiches



I have been an abysmally bad blogger lately, apologies.

I just moved, and it's been a real struggle adjusting.
I don't know a lot of people here, and between beginning
a new job and getting things settled, it's been hard to find 
the energy to write.  Cooking takes emotional legwork!

I am working on scaling back my energy bubble and trying
to center.  My mood is so dependent on the moods of other
people that being in a new setting is totally wearing me out.

I'm moving again in July to my own house for a little
while, and I'm really excited for the time to center and
focus on my macrobiotic practice.  Also, a few people
from Boston are hopefully coming to visit, which would
be enormously awesome.

+  +  +

Now, on to the sandwich.

This is a Martha Stewart recipe that fits in PERFECTLY
to the macrobiotic diet.  Just steam some greens, and you've
got dinner in fifteen minutes!  The other thing I love is that
there's practically zero prep.  Who doesn't love that?

Juice 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. lemon juice.
Set aside 1 whole celery stalk (no cutting necessary)
Set aside 2 springs fresh flat parsley.
I used 1 lb. wild Alaskan Salmon.

Fill a large pot with 2 inches of cold water.  Add
1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tsp. salt, celery, and parsley.
Bring to a boil.

In the mean time, peel and remove pit from 1 avocado.
Combine 1 tbsp. wasabi powder with 1 tbsp. lukewarm water.

Add remaining tsp. lemon juice, avocado, and wasabi paste
to your handy Vitamix blender or food processor.  Run
until it looks like this bad boy:

Cover in saran wrap that touches the surface so no air
is allowed in.  This keeps the paste from turning brown.

Toast 4 slices whole grain rye bread or your trusty
frozen gluten-free bread.  My kingdom for delicious GF
bread that doesn't come in a plastic bag.

Add your salmon to the boiling water and poach for
10-12 minutes, until cooked through.


Assemble your sandwich and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment