pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Green Wraps, Going Green, and Jigsaw's Greens


You can probably guess what my favorite
color is.

I am a green fanatic.  I love green.  When I get married,
my color scheme will be green.  When I have a house,
it will be filled with green plants that somebody else
takes care of.  And when I eat, I love to eat greens.

These green wraps are a great way to eat leafy green
veggies without feeling like a kid who's eating her vegetables.

grown-up green wraps

+ Collard Greens (whole-leaf with stem below the leaf removed)
+ Filling:  carrots, scallions, cabbage, onion, etc.
+ Hummus, tempeh or roasted and ground seeds.

Start a large pot of water to boil.
Prepare your collard greens.  Remove all stem below the leaf-line.  
Leave the entire leaf intact.  Slice your carrots, cabbage, etc. into thin matchsticks.
Blanch collard leaves in the boiling water until bright green.  Remove and drain.
Water or oil-saute your matchsticks until soft and bright.  I either add sesame oil,
tamari soy sauce, vinegar, or mirin to add flavor.

Lay your leaves flat.  If you're new to cooking, it helps to lay them on a sushi mat.
Line your sauteed veggies and hummus horizontally across the leaves, like sushi
ingredients on sushi.  Roll the ingredients inside the leaves, slice, and enjoy!  
The picture at the top of the post are my veggie wraps.

I like to dip them in tamari with lemon juice, dijon mustard, or any
leftover sauce I've got hanging around the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment